2.10.10

My Beloved Ginger


2 April 45
Nine o'clock

My Beloved Ginger -

I am at the same table at which we had our tea, and it is the heady smell of your perfume that is filling my head with fantasy and my heart with the peaceful hurt of wanting you. Always, I know it will be there when you are from me.

After leaving you I immediately inquired the time of the next train and found that it would not leave until 19.23 hours so I found my way into a below-stairs restaurant and inveigled them (there being no other potential customers about) into giving me a glass of ale, no spirits being available. It was a large place with lots of the old woodwork and supported by eight-sided and square columns having quite beautiful tiled panels half-way from the floor, and mirrored panels from that point to the ceiling. The square columns had little brass-railed shelves. The ceiling was of long arc-ish sections, quite grimy. A semi-Continental waiter, of Welsh or Scottish origin presided. It did not at all fit my mood, however, so I moved on until I arrived at a hotel that seemed to catch the eye of others of the passing dog-faced throng, but my peripheral noted that most of them were emerging almost immediately upon entry and for the most part, bewilderment was quite evident dans le visage. So I spake unto myself, saying, This must be the place I am looking for!!! And, ma petite cochon, it was!! Truly a place of ours, it was, with its lofty ceils and just-sufficient light, soft talk and softer appointments, a place of romance tempered ever so Britishly with the ageless dignity of middle-aged stewards who lead you to believe that they have been in your personal service for years past. We shall enjoy that another time, my sweet.

So, bowing over my table, the grey hair and tails enquired, "Have you been served, Sir?" knowing full well that I had not.

No - said I - but I should like a double scotch.

Terribly sorry, Sir - said Tails - but we are quite sold out of spirits.

What a shame - I mourned - for I desired to drink to a lady and to our meeting in the future.

Is that so, Sir - Tails sympathized, and then inspired - Will you be so good, Sir, to remain here for a moment?

He glided from sight to reappear almost at once, bearing upon his silver tray the small glass of amber stuff, and a tumbler of water.

Double, was it, Sir - he almost beamed - Two and nine - he said.

I was very pleased and chuckling inside as I placed five shillings on the tray. He reached for change and I said - That's all right.

Thank you, Sir - said Tails.


3 April 1500

It is now tomorrow and your perfume lingers on me. It's a trap, a snare. I'm hooked.

Having just read what I wrote last eve I find that I have become a master of ambiguosity, but that I don't worry about - you will know what I am saying. Perhaps, too, I will learn to write legibly again. That does bother me.

You know I miss you, Ginger, so I will not reiterate.

I am going to try to call you now, so be there 'cause I am working from four-thirty till midnight.

See you later, darling.

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment