2.10.10

Monday, April 2, 1945

Was called in time for breakfast - a vague spam-y meal with cruel coffee. Got a train to Lichfield, and with the help of the M.P. and the Field Director of Camp, let Jack know he was to meet me at the Red Cross at the Depot where I got a ride on an army truck. A beautiful day, and the fields and orchards lovely. The Red Cross was helpful and cheery, and Jack got a pass. I waited an hour for him - he had difficulties with his sergeant, but as usual surmounted them. He looked so sweet to me somehow, he was so glad to be with me again. We held hands in the Red Cross library over sandwiches and he had no appetite. This army is hell on men like him. Said he's even considered going psycho so we could be civilian again. I flattened that, although I'm terribly trapped in the army, too. We could have such fun. We had a compartment to ourselves to Birmingham, very sweet. Had fish and chips, and parted rather seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment