4.5.12

Friday, April 6, 1945

Army Day
A busy day tramping the wards with stationery, matches - requests and flowers.  Mrs. Dugdale of the Dugdale Tea sent us several hundred daffodils and I got three N.P. patients from the 28th to deliver them to all the wards.  Underwood helped me take 9 birthday cakes and I went back at 8.30 tonight to a Kentuckian's bed to eat his with him and have coffee. (Jack's old ward)  The other boys had cut the cake and eaten theirs, but Pettit waited for me to come!  I took him a pipe and smoking tobacco and we had a good chat about jobs, etc.  Both his legs were badly cut out by a shell while he was in a covered fox hole.  Said that's what made him mad - applied his own tournaquet but he had to wait a couple of hours to be rescued and they gave him 7 quarts of blood and plasma to save him. Must look up McElfish tomorrow - he was so sweetly appreciative of the song I played for him.  His eyes are little more than slits, but he peers out cheerfully.  Saw Johnson today who was in a jeep when a mine exploded under it.  He looked terrible a week ago, but fine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment