22.8.10

Monday, March 26, 1945

Met Jack at 10 at the Savoy where we had a luxurious corner overlooking Hyde Park. We were so pleased with each other and the view that we could hardly nibble our toast. Went out then and found a fine basement bar where we drank gin all the afternoon and Jack planned our married life. It is rather dangerous fun I suppose. He's perfectly serious - is so sure of us. Somebody told us to go to Gretna Green in Scotland and get married. Fortunately we had tea and sobered a little. Looked for hotel rooms from a cab to no avail - then I went to the hotel where I have been before...buried my heart...we got rooms on the same floor - very nice. I went to dinner at the Berkeley with Jno. Green. Came back and found a note on my pillow, "I love you". We got an early train - Jack very sweet to me - he left me at Swindon.

No comments:

Post a Comment